Hudson Israeli Users Group meetup
Yesterday we had a meetup of israeli Hudson users with Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Kohsuke gave a presentation about current status of Hudson and future roadmap and it followed by Q&A session.
Most questions involvend trying to "push the limits" of Hudson:
- Release management - Using hudson to manage different types of builds for QA and release while maintaining CI: In this aspect, having the ability to use the same jobs for testing and release builds, being able to split a multi-module product to separate small & quick builds while still having a coherent overall view
- Deplyoment - Deploying artifacts to test servers: This mainly requires advanced workflows that are currently tricky to do in Hudson
- "Management" view - Giving developers and managers a simpler view of jobs: Grouping jobs into a coherent product build, being able to generate and send reports, project oriented dashboard
Some other requests/questions were:
- Being able to put configurations into SCM so that any change is automatically committed. This also allows to have a staging and production instances of Hudson share configuration so changes can be tested before pushing them to production.
- Give the option for bisecting the change log of a failed build to find the exact commit that broke the build: This may create confusion since it means going back in the SCM history to build which means newer builds have older source.
- Working on different branches and being able to trigger jobs for them. This means that builds do not correlate with a sequence of changes (build 1 from branch A, build 2 from branch B)
- Maven 3 support: Someone already working on it
- Being able to script the checkout of sources to get custom logic while still have Hudson track the change log
The presentation and some photos are attached
Update: Kohsuke's post is here: http://goo.gl/fb/wNC17